The Wake Forest University website has new and revised content to inform the University community, visitors and others about the Nov. 17 closure of a stretch of Business 40 alongside Downtown Winston-Salem.
- Inside WFU features a Business 40 Traffic Advisory box that also appears elsewhere on the University’s website, including the Visiting Wake Forest page and the Directions page.
- The traffic advisory box offers links to frequently-updated information resources from the N.C. Department of Transportation. These include the department’s website and its Facebook page devoted to the long-term Business 40 project. A link to an announcement from the department about the closure is also available.
- The University’s Maps page has been updated to assure that maps provide accurate representations of the area.
- Revised directions to the University, accounting for the closure, are offered on the University’s Directions page.
The Business 40 project includes replacing the 1.2 miles of roadway between Highway 52 and Peters Creek Parkway, as well as constructing nine traffic bridges and two pedestrian bridges.
Some key components of the project include:
- Beginning Nov. 17, all Business 40 traffic will be diverted to I-40, Peters Creek Parkway and U.S. 52. Vehicles will be able to take these exits but not drive past them.
- Motorists are encouraged to use the cellphone app Waze, which offers route options.
- Not all of Business 40 will close. Only the 1.2-mile section in downtown Winston-Salem will close.
- Even though the construction of Business 40 and 11 new bridges is slated to last up to two years, efforts are underway to open the road in early 2020.
- A portion of the highway from Main Street to U.S. 52 could reopen as early as spring or summer 2019.
During the closure, Wake Forest Transportation and Parking Services has joined with the Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation to offer faculty and staff the opportunity to try vanpool. Information is available on Inside WFU.
- May 22, 2020
- May 20, 2020
- May 19, 2020