This is a guest post from Wake Forest’s Healthy Exercise & Lifestyle Programs (HELPS):
The TLC program is a three-month medically directed, professionally supervised “Therapeutic Lifestyle Change” program that is free to all faculty and staff of Wake Forest and designed to develop a healthy and active lifestyle utilizing exercise and education programs.
What will I receive?
- Individualized assessments, therapies and follow-up. Entry physical activity levels are evaluated with and exercise stress test and physical function measures. This information is used to determine and define the amount of physical activity you need to foster a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Entry dietary intake is assessed through online food records. Specific calorie, nutrient and food group changes are identified.
- Supervised exercise sessions at our conveniently located monitored exercise facility. Located close to campus next to BB&T Field in the Health & Exercise Science Clinical Research Center.
- Weekly small group sessions, held on campus in Worrell Professional Center. These group sessions meet weekly in the Worrell Professional Center, Room 1162, on Thursdays from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. starting in February 2019 and will last for three months. These sessions will teach behavioral strategies for the management of physical activity and diet. Cognitive (what and how much?) teaching is combined with psychological approaches to take the participant beyond the limits of “will power.” Personal journals are used as a basis for program development, strategy monitoring and evaluation.
HELPS TLC Staff?
- Jeff Katula, PhD, MA, Assistant Professor, Health & Exercise Science, Health Psychologist and Executive Director, Healthy Exercise & Lifestyle Programs (HELPS)
- Erika Janssen, MS, Program Director, HELPS
- Christie Hunter, RD, LLC, Registered Dietician
- Nikolete Hurrinus, Program Coordinator, HELPS
Please contact Nikolete Hurrinus if you are interested in filling out an application. Space is limited and will be given on a first come first serve basis so inquire today!
Phone: 336-758-5019 Fax: 336-758-1996 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org