This guest post was written and shared by news intern Caroline Wilson (’21):
Wake Forest University will host TEDxWakeForestU, an independently organized event licensed by TED, on Saturday, Feb. 22 from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. in Wait Chapel.
‘Revision,’ the theme of Wake Forest’s TEDx event this year, poses the opportunity for our speakers to reflect on their past decisions and how they have impacted their future. The event is free for students, faculty and staff with a valid WFU ID. Tickets are $10 for the general public. Register here.
- Katie Koestner, internationally recognized author, activist and educator around technology, safety and healthy relationships. She is widely acknowledged to be the first woman in history to speak out against the concept of “date rape.”
- Isra Hirsi, a high school student who is also a climate and racial justice advocate. She is the co-founder and co-executive director of the US Youth Climate Strike.
- Nathan Atkinson, director of business development for Village Juice Company and president of H.O.P.E. of Winston Salem, a nonprofit dedicated to addressing local food insecurity and eradicating childhood hunger.
- Diya Abdo, associate professor of English at Guilford College and the director of the Center for New North Carolinians at UNCG. She is also the founder of the Every Campus a Refuge (ECAR) movement.
- Khalil Rafati, speaker, author, and health and wellness entrepreneur. Owner of Malibu Beach Yoga and SunLife Organics, as well as the founder of Riviera Recovery.
- Sarah Dashew, singer-songwriter who has managed multiple critically-praised albums and singles, successful tours and television spots.
- James Ford, award-winning educator and consultant on issues of equity in education. He was recently appointed by N.C. Governor Roy Cooper to serve as a member of the North Carolina State Board of Education.
- Justus Harris, artist and educator based in Chicago. At age 14 he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He combined his artistic training, patient experiences, and educational skills to found MedSculp in 2016.