A message from Dean of Admissions Martha Allman

This message is sent on behalf of Dean of Admissions Martha Allman:

Dear members of the campus community,

As some of you are aware, the 1982 edition of The Howler included a photo of me taken with the Kappa Alpha Order in front of a Confederate flag hung prominently on campus. I write to you today to acknowledge and apologize for perpetuating harm.

That flag was a symbol of pain and racism then just as it is now, and I understand that much differently in 2019 than I did in 1982.

Thirty-seven years of life, experiences, relationships and education have made a difference in my way of understanding the world and my ability to empathize with those who are different from me. Throughout my career in admissions, one of my goals has been to create a more diverse and inclusive Wake Forest. It is my hope that I will be judged by my professional dedication to Wake Forest, my faith and civic involvement, and by my future work with the Wake Forest community.

I maintain my commitment as an administrator to moving Wake Forest forward in equity and inclusion and working to make our campus a welcoming and nurturing community for all of its members.

Sincerely,
Martha Blevins Allman (‘82)
Dean of Admissions

Categories: Inside WFU