Temporary closings of some Wake Forest parking lots will begin occurring this weekend in preparation for the University serving Monday, Aug. 4, as a location for filming of a an adaptation of Nicholas Sparks’ novel, “The Longest Ride.” Part of the movie is set at Wake Forest and includes a character portraying a Wake Forest student.
Exterior and interior scenes will be filmed throughout the day and into the evening Aug. 4. The filming will bring crew members, actors and extras to campus, along with numerous large trucks and other vehicles.
Starting at 5 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1, the following parking lots will be closed entirely or in part through Monday, Aug. 4:
- The entire Lot N (between Poteat and Kitchin residence halls)
- Half of Lot W1 (between Poteat Field and Worrell Professional Center). The area affected is the southern half of the lot, next to Wake Forest Road.
- Approximately 10 to 20 spaces in Lot P will be reserved at the same time for the film production company, too. The Lot P spaces are next to the sidewalk near Poteat and Huffman residence halls.
Plans call for Lot B (between Davis and Taylor residence halls) and Lot M (between Reynolda Hall and Reynolds Gym) to be closed the entire morning of Monday, Aug 4. Closing may continue into early afternoon.
Alternative places for faculty and staff to consider parking include spaces along Wake Forest Road in front of Wait Chapel, Lot Q, (across the road from the Chapel), Lot A (west side of the Chapel) and Lot W4 (behind Worrell Professional Center).
Students may park in their usual lots, including Lot Q.
Wake Forest will also experience occasional traffic delays on Aug. 4 during filming of scenes for a movie at various campus locations.
Delays are likely in the morning and afternoon during filming of scenes and are expected at the following locations:
- A section of Wake Forest Road that extends from the Reynolda Road campus entrance to Scales Fine Arts Center.
- A stretch of Wake Forest Road between the University Parkway campus entrance and approximately Parking Lot W1 (next to Worrell Professional Center).
- A winding section of Wake Forest Road that runs from the Scales Fine Arts Center to Lot B (between Davis and Taylor residence halls).
Police and film production crew will be involved in directing traffic in those locations when traffic is briefly stopped for filming of a pickup truck traveling to different campus spots. The pickup will be pulled on a trailer by another vehicle.
Much of the filming will take place on and near Hearn Plaza, which could bring limited changes to plaza access for part of the day. No closings of any buildings or businesses on Hearn Plaza are planned. Filming is also set for an area in and immediately outside the Scales Fine Arts Center.
- May 22, 2020
- May 20, 2020
- May 19, 2020