The Winter Institute for Intercultural Communication (WIIC), a four-day professional development conference, was held at the Wake Forest University Charlotte Center on March 12-15. WIIC is a shortened version of the Summer Institute for Intercultural Communication (SIIC), hosted by the Intercultural Communication Institute (ICI) in Portland, Oregon, for the past 25 years. In addition to sponsoring SIIC and WIIC, ICI fosters awareness and appreciation of cultural difference by maintaining an extensive research library for intercultural scholars and practitioners, partnering with local universities to offer a graduate degree program and certificate program and providing professional counsel on intercultural matters.
The goal of WIIC is to provide a broad range of educational opportunities regarding intercultural communication to individuals working in various sectors, including education, business and consulting in both domestic and international contexts. Attendees at the inaugural WIIC were able to choose from several one- and three-day workshops.
- 97 individuals attended 3-day and/or 1-day workshops
- International representation included: Japan, China, Egypt, Canada, Switzerland, Brazil, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia and Germany
- Domestic representation included: North Carolina, District of Columbia, New York, New Jersey, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, California, Indiana, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Texas, Minnesota, Oregon, Tennessee and Iowa
- Industry representation included: higher education, health care, consulting, federal government, nonprofit
- Higher education representation included: Elon, Berkley, Case Western, Duke, Indiana, Xavier, University of Alberta, Penn State, UNC, University of Richmond, NYU, Emory, NCCU, Purdue
- Wake Forest representation: 37 staff, faculty, undergraduate and graduate students
- 4 three-day workshops and 3 one-day workshops were offered
- In-kind sponsorship provided by Diversity Council of the Carolinas — Charlotte
- May 22, 2020
- May 20, 2020
- May 19, 2020