The Office of the Provost invites applications from the faculty of Wake Forest University for the position of Artistic Director of the Secrest Series.
As many of you know, Lillian Shelton is retiring after many years of dedicated service to the Secrest Series and Wake Forest University. We are truly grateful for her remarkable efforts in bringing the very best of the performing arts to our campus. Although she will be impossible to replace, it is nonetheless necessary to look for new leadership.
After consultation with and advice from various faculty members who have been closely involved with the Series, we have decided to restructure its stewardship. First, we are searching for a faculty director who will guide the artistic direction of the Series; the responsibilities for this position are set forth in greater detail below. Second, the current Events and Special Projects Manager in the Provost’s office will handle all logistical and technical arrangements for the Series, in consultation with the Artistic Director. The Artistic Director will be selected by the Provost, following advice from an advisory committee, and will receive a stipend for his or her service.
The responsibilities of the Artistic Director of the Secrest Series may include the following:
- In conjunction with the Secrest Series Advisory Committee, select the artists who will appear at Wake Forest during the academic year.
- Chair the selection meetings of the Advisory Committee.
- Attend the annual artists showcase in New York City in January (expenses are covered by the Secrest Series budget).
- In conjunction with the events and special projects manager in the Provost’s office, handle the contractual arrangements for the artists’ visits.
- Arrange a pre-performance talk for each event and/or master classes and visits with students, as appropriate.
- Help select and supervise a student intern.
- Submit an annual report about the Series to the Office of the Provost.
The ideal candidate will have depth and breadth of musical knowledge, a long-standing commitment to the performing arts, and a passion for their importance in the university setting. If you are interested in being considered for this position, please submit a statement of interest, including your vision for the future of the Series, to Jennifer Collins in the Provost’s office no later than May 30.
- May 22, 2020
- May 20, 2020
- May 19, 2020