Jim Alty, the associate vice president for Facilities and Campus Services, showed an audience of about 250 at Campus Connections renderings of the proposed North Campus dining hall and two new residence halls before moving on to series of quick updates about construction plans this summer. They include:
- The Wells Fargo bank will move to the current copy center location in Benson University Center. The copy center will move to the third floor of Benson.
- Seating for 52 inside and redesigned seating outside on Hearn Plaza will allow improved dining at Subway.
- There will also be room for a small convenience store.
Student Recreational Area in Benson’s Basement
- With Residence Life and Housing moving into the former Human Resources space of the USB, approximately 12,000 square feet of space in Benson will be turned into an area focused on students. Exact plans for the student space are still being developed.
Starling Hall Renovation
- Renovations will restore some of the building back to the configuration when it was a Presidents House and provide more meeting spaces.
- The Investments office will move into the building.
- The front part of the building will be available for on-campus use.
Carroll Weathers Drive
- Reroute traffic through Lot W1 during the summer to improve pedestrian safety and lot entrances.
- Reopened by August 2012 – renewed access to Lot Q from Polo Road entrance will be available.
More Renovations Planned
- Reynolda Registrar’s office
- Winston Hall HVAC upgrade
- Babcock bathroom and elevator upgrades
- Anthropology offices and labs