Seven smart reasons to use the University Calendar
August 27th, 2014
With the new academic year underway, departments and organizations are lining up events for the fall and spring semesters. Here are seven smart reasons to make sure your event is on the University Calendar.
1. The calendar is mobile: With the new WFU Events App, available through iTunes, users can search, sort and filter events by date, audience or event type and add events to their calendars.
2. Social sharing: The calendar has social media features. Make a Facebook events page and link it to your calendar listing.
3. Less confusion: Has the time or location changed for your event or has it been cancelled due to weather? When you submit an event, you can make changes as needed. Those who “Add an event” to their personal calendar will automatically receive notification when details change.
4. The Wow! factor: Add a movie trailer, video, photo or PDF to your calendar listing to preview the event and improve turnout. Here’s an event listing that takes advantage of this feature.
5. If it’s open to the public, the public is notified: If your event is on the University Calendar before the 15th of the month and it is listed as “open to the public,” it will be automatically shared with local news media and submitted to Piedmont Triad event calendars.
6. Reminders for faculty and staff: Each Friday an automated email announcing upcoming events called “Next Week at Wake” is sent to faculty and staff. Events must be on the University Calendar to be included.
7. Keep the news office in the know: The news office reviews University Calendar listings. Someone will contact you for more information if the event has potential for external news coverage.
You can submit an event on the University Calendar page by clicking the “Submit an Event” bar above the calendar on the right-hand side of the page. Here is a link to some basic instructions for submitting your event should you need help.
For more information on best use of the University Calendar, contact Priscilla Wood Parker in Communications and External Relations at 336-758-5237 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to follow @WFUCalendar on Twitter.