Update from President Hatch

The following is a message from President Nathan Hatch:

The fall semester is always a time of enthusiasm among our students and tremendous activity among faculty and staff. I am looking forward to several opportunities over the next couple of months to address issues of importance to our campus community.

Next Steps with SRI

Last spring, Provost Rogan Kersh and Senior Vice President Hof Milam shared with you recommendations emerging from the Strategic Resource Initiative (SRI). The Steering Committee identified approximately $6.1 million in possible cost reductions and revenue enhancements that could be applied to student financial aid, faculty and staff compensation and other University priorities.

Changes in business practices have already resulted in some savings while other initiatives were organized as pilot programs to evaluate the potential return. As reported in the spring, some initiatives will take time to evaluate and implement, with savings to be realized a few years from now.

Over the summer, Rogan and Hof continued to solicit feedback from across campus on the SRI recommendations and prepare implementation plans for my approval. I look forward to receiving their report later this semester and sharing the outcome with you before the end of the year.

Upcoming Events

October 18

Answering a call from the University’s Board of Trustees, University Advancement has been quietly raising money in support of students, faculty and enhancements to campus for the past three years. You are invited to a campus-wide celebration on Friday, Oct. 18, from 11 a.m.–2 p.m. on Manchester Plaza where we will celebrate the impact of philanthropic giving on our campus community and learn what will be made possible by the next capital campaign. Keep an eye on your inboxes for more about this exciting event.

Later the same night, I am thrilled to host the fifth biennial President’s Ball. Please join our students, alumni and me in the Coliseum for a night of fun and dancing from 9 p.m.–1 a.m.

November 19

I will offer my thoughts about the University and where we stand in my annual State of the University address on Nov. 19 at 4 p.m. in Brendle Recital Hall. I look forward to this opportunity to reflect on the past year and offer context for where we are headed as an institution. I hope you can join me.