Plemmons selected as SIAM Fellow

Bob PlemmonsBob Plemmons (’61), Z. Smith Reynolds professor of mathematics and computer science, has been selected as a Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).

The fellowship honors SIAM members who have made outstanding contributions to the fields served by the organization.

“Being selected as a Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics means a lot to me in terms of accomplishments as I retire from teaching at Wake Forest, although my research activities will continue for a few more years,” Plemmons said. “This Society has been my home professional organization throughout my academic career, spanning forty-seven years and four universities, with the last twenty-three spent at my alma mater, Wake Forest.”

The focus for SIAM is applied, computational and industrial mathematics, and the society often promotes its acronym as “Science and Industry Advance with Mathematics.” It was founded in 1950 in Philadelphia and currently has more than 15,000 members worldwide.

“My research is centered around applied research directly addressed by SIAM,” Plemmons said, “and I’ve been a very active member over the years in terms of administration and conference organizing.”